FAQ's

Purple Heart Pickup FAQ Page Facts

 

Of the roughly 2 million tons of used clothing Americans recycle each year, less than half is ever worn again: 30 percent is cut up for use as industrial rags, and another 20 percent is shredded for couch stuffing and home insulation.

http://www.vice.com/read/what-actually-happens-to-donated-clothes

 

Americans recycle or donate only 15 percent of their used clothing, and the rest—about 10.5 million tons a year—goes into landfills, giving textiles one of the poorest recycling rates of any reusable material.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/07/where-does-discarded-clothing-go/374613/

 

In 1930, the average American woman owned nine outfits. Today, that figure is 30 outfits — one for every day of the month.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmajohnson/2015/01/15/the-real-cost-of-your-shopping-habits/#2ef3be6721ae

 

The average American tosses 82 pounds of textile waste each year

http://www.takepart.com/video/2015/05/29/clothes-trash-landfill

 

According to the Council for Textile Recycling, the U.S. generates around 25 billion pounds of brand-new textiles per year (around 85 percent of that eventually heads for landfills). Goodwill, Salvation Army and other secondhand stores get the remaining 15 percent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/20/fast-fashion-thrift-stores_n_5798612.html

 

95.4 percent of Americans participate at some level of charitable giving.

http://www.compassion.com/poverty/charitable-giving.htm